With only 58 doctors per 100,000 inhabitants compared to 85 per 100,000 in Montreal, accessibility to first line health services is a constant challenge in the West Island1. As the population is increasingly ageing, health care needs are growing while access to health and social services is becoming more and more difficult at the same time.
Indeed, in 2015, Quebec has seen the health-care system change significantly because of the passing of the following legislation:
Bill 10 – changes the organization and governance of the health and social services network, namely by the abolition of the regional agencies.
Bill 20 – privileges access to family medicine and to specialized medicine and modifies various legal measures with regards to medically assisted procreation.
In concrete terms, the CSSS of West Island, the CSSS of Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle, the St-Mary’s Hospital Center, the Douglas Mental Health Institute, the West Island Rehabilitation Center, the Grace Dart Extended Care Center, the Batshaw Youth and Family Centers are now grouped together in a Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux (CIUSSS) of the West Island.
During public consultations with the citizens, one of the priorities identified for the southern West Island was the improvement of health and social services. A working committee has been formed and its role is to elaborate and implement an action plan to allow for a concerted action to improve health and social services.
For more information or to participate in the committee, thank you for contacting us at (438) 938-7764 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Affiche_12 droits des usagers
- Depliant_12 droits des usagers
- PARI-Plan d’action régional intégré de santé publique de Montreal 2016-2021-resume
- PARI- Plan d’action régional intégré de santé publique de Montreal_2016-2021
- “Overhaul of West Island health-care services given its first checkup”, Montreal Gazette, 2015.
- Portrait des besoins de certaines populations vulnérables du sud de l’Ouest-de-l’Île de Montréal, 2015
- Portrait de la population du Sud de l’Ouest-de-l’Île, 2015
- “Portrait de la population, de l’organisation et de l’utilisation des services médicaux de 1re ligne – CSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île“, Agence de la Sante et des Services Sociaux de Montréal, 2014.